How do I disable coredumps on F12?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Dec 10 03:02:06 UTC 2009

Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 01:57, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
> <mailto:Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>> wrote:
>
>     Andre Costa wrote:
>     > Hi Rick, thks for the reply. Comments below:
>     >
>     > On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 23:12, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com
>     <mailto:ricks at nerd.com>
>     > <mailto:ricks at nerd.com <mailto:ricks at nerd.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 12/08/2009 03:44 PM, Andre Costa wrote:
>     >
>     >         Hi,
>     >
>     >         apps crashes are generating coredumps on /var/cache/abrt/* ;
>     >         since I
>     >         won't debug them myself and won't send them anywhere because
>     >         they're too
>     >         big, I would like to turn them off. I tried uncommenting
>     >
>     >         #*               soft    core            0
>     >
>     >         on /etc/security/limits.conf but it did not work, coredumps
>     >         were still
>     >         being generated.
>     >
>     >
>     >     I believe you need to reboot for that to take effect.
>     >
>     >
>     > I did that, to no avail :-(
>     >
>     >
>     >         Then I tried to set
>     >
>     >         MaxCrashReportsSize = 0
>     >
>     >         directly on /etc/abrt/abrt.conf, restarted abrtd but it
>     didn't
>     >         work
>     >         either (oddly enough abrt-gui doesn't allow changing this
>     >         setting, "ok"
>     >         button is disabled -- not even if I run it as root).
>     >
>     >         So, as a last resource I created a script on /etc/cron.daily
>     >         to get rid
>     >         of the coredumps, but I'd rather not create them in the
>     first
>     >         place.
>     >
>     >         Anyone could give a hand?
>     >
>     >
>     >     Well, you should also, as root:
>     >
>     >            echo 'fs.suid_dumpable = 0' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>     >            sysctl -p
>     >
>     >     That prevents suid programs from creating core files.  You
>     should
>     >     also make sure that there is a line to the effect:
>     >
>     >            ulimit -S -c 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
>     >
>     >     is in /etc/profile so that all users have a core file dump
> [...]
Ahhh....that doesn't make much sense., IHMO.

The abrtd service is designed to collect all the relevant information on
a crash and send it back for analysis.  Part of that relevant
information would be the coredump.  So, you want to remove a portion of
the relevant information?  Don't you think that would devalue the service?