Re: Installing Fedora-12 from USB

Craig White wrote:
On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 14:08 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 21:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
What is the rational for demanding that /root be a directory on /, and
not a separate partition? See at:
<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/pix/root-not-allowed.jpg>
----
I would presume that with runlevel 1 (single user mode), that it would
be a problem to run as root and root's home directory is not available.

Why would it be missing? The /root mount point would be there, the home directory would just be empty, and that's not an issue.
----
good point

I think that actually provides more of the actual reason why anaconda
doesn't permit a /root mounted partition though because it would toss
the logs into /root and the mount would hide the logs (but of course
anaconda could probably move the files to the mounted partition but that
would require more coding.
I didn't mean to sound as if I favored /root as a filesystem, but the logic is bogus, the directory will certainly be there. The main use of the stuff in /root is for backup of local changes. ;-)

find /etc -mnewer /root/install.log | cpio -oB -Hustar |
gzip -9v >etc-new-$(date +%Y%m%d).tgz

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>