Someone was able to hack my mail account

kevin kevin at kevinslair.com
Fri Dec 11 10:50:18 UTC 2009

Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.12.2009, 16:41 -0500 schrieb kevin:
>> Please if anyone knows how to stop this with postfix and amavisd-new
>> please let me know !!!
>>
>> I am clueless how someone outside $mynetworks was able to do it.
>

> Looking at your log file I don't think someone was able to hack your
> mail account.  A spam network picked up your domain name which they
> got to know e.g. by your web site (it is useful for them because they
> know that domain really exists and it is unsuspicious in terms of spam).
> They invented a user because they don't know your real users. This
> address ist used to bypass basic spam filters (e.g. sender domain must
> exist).
>
> They will continue to use it for some time and then pick up another.
>

> Peter

Thank you for the reply.

I was looking over the conf files and can't find how to disable a
non-user from sending mail through my system. I thought I had it tight.

I am just glad the spammer sent the mail to me and not a million people.

Thanks,
Kevin

Mail Service Provided by:
Kevins Lair, Ent
mailto:kevin at kevinslair.com

Think before you print.

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of
this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.

All outgoing e-mail is scanned for virus and potentially hazardous material