Desktop Background Doesn't Stay

All,

I did a clean install of F12 on a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop.  Other than the sound business, which I still need to work on a bit, it seems to be really nice.  One small problem is that when I change the background desktop image (even if I set it as the default) and shutdown, it's back to the standard F12 image when I power back up.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Herb