Issue setting KDE resolution - Fedora 12, ATI, Dell Inspiron 8600

Lets Go Canes letsgonhlcanes at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 03:17:24 UTC 2009

Hi all.

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> > Installed Fedora 12 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop,
> dual-boot with Windows
> > XP.  I want to use a different resolution than
> what KDE comes up with by
> > default (default is ~1900x~1200, I want
> 1280x800).  However, the KDE tool
> > for changing resolution doesn't appear to do
> anything.  I googled around,
> > and found suggestions for using xrandr; that attempts
> to change the
> > resolution, but the only working, usable resolution
> with this method
> > appears to be the default.  The desired
> resolution works under Windows XP.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> (As root):
> $ yum install system-config-display
> $ system-config-display

Thank you for the suggestion.  I installed system-config-display, and
after running it, if I use the KDE tool to change the resolution,
it now attempts to do so.  Unfortunately, I get the same results as
I got with xrandr; most of the resolutions just give me a black
screen.  If I use system-config-display to change the resolution,
I also get the same result, with the added problem of having to
boot single-user to delete the xorg.conf file to get the display
back.