Install on new computer keeping OEM OS

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Dec 13 01:20:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 22:52 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 10:38 -0800, Alan Evans wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just got a brand-new machine with Windows 7 pre-installed on its
> > massive hard drive. Of course, Fedora is more my style, but I'd like
> > to keep the original OS intact and dual boot.
> >
> > My question is this then: How safe is it really to allow the installer
> > to resize the existing partition with Win7 already there? I saw that
> > it had the option, but I was terrified to try it.
>
> I've not had any problems, but if you're unsure, Windows can shrink its
> own partitions. It's in the Disk Utility or whatever it's called.

If you do it that way, be sure to keep a copy of your partition table
before you start.  I've had Windows Disk Utility blow away non-Windows
partitions while doing simple stuff to Windows.  (Yes, apparently, I
just attract trouble when it comes to disk partitions...)  Of course
there aren't any non-Win partitions on this installation, but once you
are dual booting, beware.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences