Real Audio on F12

I'm experiencing considerable frustration trying to get Real Audio files
to play. I dl'ed the x686 binary from real.com on my netbook and tried
the "realplay" command on a .ram file, but just I get this:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1010:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

despite the fact that PA seems to be working (i.e. the tests work, Flash
audio works etc.).

What do people use to listen to Real Audio?

poc