Re: Install on new computer keeping OEM OS

> That said, I haven't seen anything go wrong with gparted / parted, well
> ever (in my memory, including expanding and shrinking an xp machine
> original ntfs drives, to fit linux).
I do this a lot and rarely see any problems. However I just repaired a
shrunken NTFS partition with wrong parameters in the boot block on
using TestDisk.

TestDisk located the problem and prompted to fix it for me.

As Alans drive still is untouched, I guess a compressed dd backup will
be very small. The optimal way would be for retailers to also send the
install media with the computer.