Fedora 12: No flash plugin

Simon Schneebeli simon.schneebeli at okko.org
Mon Dec 14 20:56:43 UTC 2009

On 12/14/2009 09:50 PM, Simon Schneebeli wrote:

> On 12/14/2009 09:38 PM, Craig White wrote:

>>> Nothing at all.
>>>>
>>> I know. I'm used to sudo, but I guess that on Fedora I first have to
>>> install something because right now I just get
>>> [simon at sangam ~]$ sudo yum repolist
>>> [sudo] password for simon:
>>> Sorry, try again.
>>> [sudo] password for simon:
>>> simon is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>> [simon at sangam ~]$
>>>
>>> Just didn't had time yet to find out how to add myself to the
>>> sudoers list.

>>> That looks quite much like what I need right now to get familiar with
>>> Fedora. Many thanks.
>> ----
>> just use 'su -' in a shell to become root for now.
>>
>> as root, 'yum repolist' should be very revealing as to what is installed
>> for repositories.
>>
>> sudoers is another level of complexity to deal with that won't solve
>> this problem.
>>
>> recognize that sites like fedorasolved.org and mjmwired.com (apparently
>> used in dnsmouse.org) will advocate things that work but are not
>> necessarily interchangeable with other advice that might be given on the
>> list here. I'm not saying that their advice isn't good but getting
>> advice from different places will sometimes have different and confusing
>> results.
>>
>> Sometimes the answers on this list will come from various people with
>> various levels of understanding that will become confusing to new users
>> with no ability to sort out who is giving the most targeted advice.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> You'll probably consider me as a fool, but if I enter 'su yum
> repolist', I just get the following:
>
> [simon at sangam ~]$ su yum repolist
> su: user yum does not exist
>
> But I'm trying hard to learn. I'm currently searching infos on how to
> use "su" properly...
>
> Simon

I'm progressing (with sudo):

[root at sangam simon]# sudo yum repolist
Loaded plugins: presto, protectbase, refresh-packagekit
repo id                   repo name                              status
fedora                    Fedora 12 - i386
enabled: 15,366
rpmfusion-free            RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free
enabled:    383
rpmfusion-free-updates    RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free - Upda
enabled:    177
rpmfusion-nonfree         RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree
enabled:    124
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree - U
enabled:     97
updates                   Fedora 12 - i386 - Updates
enabled:  2,111
repolist: 18,258
[root at sangam simon]#