Booting from hard disk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Dec 15 00:51:20 UTC 2009

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

>> Is it possible to boot the KDE Live CD from the hard disk (from the ISO
>> file), by adding an appropriate stanza to grub.conf ? If so, what would
>> be an appropriate stanza?

> Put the kernel and the ramdisk from the F12 iso into /boot:
>
> mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop Fedora-12.iso someDirectory
> cd someDirectory
> cp isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-F12
> cp isolinux/initrd.img /boot/initrd-F12.img
>
> You can use whatever names you want for vmlinuz and initrd, but whatever
> you use must go into the grub stanza.
>
> Copy the images directory to disk
>
> cp -r images /some/data/partition
>
> Both the images directory and the Fedora iso must be on a partition that
> won't be formatted during installation.

Note that I asked about booting from the KDE Live CD,
not the Fedora DVD.
The KDE Live CD does not seem to have an images directory.

> Cut and paste any Fedora stanza from grub.conf and edit that to point to
> the F12 vmlinuz and initrd and add "askmethod" on the kernel line:
>

> title Fedora (2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64)
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /vmlinuz-F12 ro root=UUID=343fedb3
> d301-4615-99b3-a0dec40fa632  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet linux askmethod
> initrd /initrd-F12.img

As a matter of interest, which root=UUID=... do you choose?

If I boot from the isolinux/vmlinuz0 and isolinux/initrd0.img
from the KDE Live CD ,
the machine boots into the system on the root= partition;
if I specify root=/dev/sda6 , which is the partition for an fc11 system,
the machine boots into fc11, though with an fc12 kernel.
If I specify root=/dev/sda3 , containing an fc10 system,
it boots into fc10, the system on that partition.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net