F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 14:24:53 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:15:13 -0500, Gene wrote:
>> >
>> >You couldn't chainload those other dists with legacy GRUB?
>>
>> Not if the boot partition is on an ext4 filesystem.
>
>Nonsense.
>
>When chainloading, the the filesystem on the target boot partition is
>irrelevant.
>
>I can ensure you that Fedora 10's GRUB is capable of chainloading
>a different distribution's boot loader even if that dist is installed
>on ext4.
>
>> I experimented with it
>> pointed at an ext3 filesystem and it worked as expected.
>
>Then you've done something wrong as in the examples in your recent
>thread. Chainloading is between boot loaders in boot sectors.

I may not have had the syntax correct, but all I could get out of it was an
error 13, invalid file format.

I have grub-0.97 (F10 32 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sda.
I have grub-1.97 (Mint 8 64 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sdb.
I have grub-0.97 (Mandriva 2009.1 64 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sdd.

What would be the exact stanza in the F10 grub.conf to switch directly to the
Mint 8 boot screen without involving the grub2 rpm or any of its utilities at
all?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene