F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:55:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:24:53 -0500, Gene wrote:

> I may not have had the syntax correct, but all I could get out of it was an
> error 13, invalid file format.

Which you only get if you try to let GRUB "mount" a filesystem found
on a partition.

> I have grub-0.97 (F10 32 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sda.
> I have grub-1.97 (Mint 8 64 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sdb.
> I have grub-0.97 (Mandriva 2009.1 64 bit) in the mbr of /dev/sdd.
>
> What would be the exact stanza in the F10 grub.conf to switch directly to the
> Mint 8 boot screen without involving the grub2 rpm or any of its utilities at
> all?

Assuming that at boot-time your F10 GRUB maps /dev/sdb to 'hd1':

title Mint 8
    rootnoverify (hd1)
    chainloader +1

[And if you ever feel like installing a dist's boot loader not into the
MBR but into the boot sector of a partition, substitute the 'hd1'
appropriately).