Always need authentication to print?

I'm running F12 (preupgraded from F11, which was formerly preupgraded
from F10, etc.) here on my work machine. Since the upgrade to F12,
whenever I print to our Windows-shared printer, I'm presented with a
User/Password challenge. The "User" defaults to my local user name,
which is not the name required by the printer.

Openoffice doesn't seem to suffer from this problem. For everything
else (Firefox, gedit, evince), I need to enter a user name and
password every time I print. Surely, this isn't the way it's intended
to work; what can be done?