Detecting how Apps are called.

Is there a command you can run like tail -f or what ever, to see where a Application is called from.

Running a application that  I can tell where it is  started or run from.
Like when I plug in a SD card what and where is it started from.

I know this Question sounds confusing , but I'm not really sure how to ask it.