init: illegal runlevel (null)

Hi all,
 here is a description of what I'm trying to do.

I created a small rootfs with buildroot and I gPXE booted it. Once that is running I do

mount -t tmpfs -o size=4G mount -t tmpfs -o size=4G none /tmp

(I have a system with 8GB of RAM)

and then i copy with scp a new rootfs (rootfs.img whose size is around 2.5GB) under /tmp

At this point, this I run this simple script

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp
mkdir newrootfs
mount rootfs.img newrootfs
cd newrootfs
mkdir oldrootfs
pivot_root . oldrootfs
exec chroot . sh -c 'exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1

I can see the new root is rootfs, but still there is something not working. When I run the script I get the message

init: illegal runlevel (null)

Any idea of what can be wrong?

Thank you all,
 Luca