how to get F12 to 'send host-name' in dhcp request?

M. Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 03:37:21 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 2:47 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:29:46 -0800
> M. Milanuk wrote:
>
>> Can someone help me out here?  This is driving me nutty.  How do I make
>> F12 send the right request to the dhcp server?
>
> Every distro seems to do this differently (sometimes each distro
> changes between releases :-), but for fedora/redhat what has
> always worked for me is to edit the ifcfg-eth0 script
> and add:
>
> DHCP_HOSTNAME="whatever"
>
> to the parameters.

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the help.  I took a look in that script, and I see what
you're talking about.  I may end up going that route in the end, or just
editing the dnsmasq.conf file on the server to use dhcp-client-id
instead of dhcp-host.

In the mean time, its still bugging me as to what exactly is going on
here.  On further inspection, the /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf files
for both the F12 machine and the U9.10 machine are nearly the same they
*both* have Network Manager adding the same line to the end ('send
dhcp-client-identifier "demandred" '), but the file in U9.10 looks like
they just copied over /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (which they still have)
into the NM file, with one line uncommented:

	send host-hame "<hostname>";

I don't know if that gets expanded when the script is run to take the
machines hostname and send it as part of the dhcp request, and thats why
it gets the proper dhcp lease as it should, and F12 doesn't?

 From the sounds of things, it appears I'm going to have to learn a bit
about wireshark and start trying to capture the network traffic when the
client machines send their dhcp requests and see what is and isn't being
sent.

Thanks,

Monte