Re: Tar oddity...

On 12/18/2009 01:23 PM, fedora-list-request redhat com wrote:
Re: Tar oddity...
From:
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 freenet de>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:28:09 +0100

To:
"Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list redhat com>

On 12/17/2009 11:51 PM, DB wrote:
Hi All,

I've just (re)installed F12 on my laptop, & tried to copy my home
directory (F11) from my desktop using tar.

The create went OK, & I can do tar tvh on the desktop no probs. But when
I connect the external drive to the laptop, tar tvh says it's closing
because of previous errors; ark refuses to open the .tar.gz file as it
has errors.

Please show us the actual error message. You are not providing sufficient details to be able to help.

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

ark puts up a dialog box
reading the archive "xxxx.tar.gz"
failed with the error
'The archive reading failed with message: Damaged tar archive'

and tar tvf reads 45 entries and then

    tar: skipping to next header
    tar: exiting with failure status due to previous errors

but doesn't say what previous errors!

TIA

Dave