How to remove language packs from thunderbird

When I bring up thunderbird as a normal user it lists a large number of languages available.  I only need 2 languages, how do I remove the ones I don't need?  I can diable them, but the uninstall button is grayed out.  As root I can uninstall the language packs, but when I bring up thunderbird as a regular user after removing the language packs as root they are still present.

Paolo