mplayer fc12-86_64

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 19 02:36:59 UTC 2009

On 12/19/2009 10:29 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Friday 18 December 2009 21:52:12 david walcroft wrote:
>> On 12/18/2009 11:11 AM, david walcroft wrote:
>>> I have the problem of constant flashing at start up of a movie.
>>> I also tried other players (totem) they played videos but no sound,I
>>> checked various volume levels and they were all at maximum.
>>
>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ mplayer kinema/garfield-tsr_m320.mov
>> Warning unknown option cache-prefill at line 148
>> MPlayer SVN-r29800-4.4.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>> This codecs.conf is too old and incompatible with this MPlayer release!
>> at line 6
>
> What do you have in ~/.mplayer/ directory? It looks like you have some stale
> old files from previous versions of mplayer? Try renaming the directory and let
> mplayer create a new directory for itself with default contents. Then try
> playing the movie again.

I did but mplayer didn't write a default file

>> Playing kinema/garfield-tsr_m320.mov.
>> Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
>> libavformat file format detected.
>> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x2f1be50]multiple edit list entries, a/v
>> desync might occur, patch welcome
>
> I am not sure if this is because some confused options in the old config files
> or the movie you're trying to play is badly encoded... Anyway it does warn you
> that audio and video might get out of sync. I'm not sure if that amounts to
> "flashing" you see or not.
>
>> AO: [alsa] 22050Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
>
> Don't you have pulseaudio on by default? Try
>
>    mplayer -ao pulse kinema/garfield-tsr_m320.mov

pulse is working as the sound had to be turned way up to hear it,
so I then found 'pavocontrol' and it's all under control now.

>> Plays well in the terminal but with out sound.
>
> I'm not surprised there is no sound, given that it tries to use alsa instead
> of pulseaudio.
>
> Ok, three recommendations:
>
> 1) Try to play some other file. If it is fine, than this particular movie might
> be broken somehow.
>
> 2) Rename ~/.mplayer/ directory to something else. If there are some old/wrong
> config files and settings in there, they can confuse mplayer.
>
> 3) Check your sound configuration. Make sure pulseaudio is running, system
> sounds and other music can be played without problems etc. Force mplayer to
> use pulseaudio with "-ao pulse" option, although it *should* do it by default
> anyway.
>
> Btw, I understood that you were previously trying mplayer outside the
> terminal, ie. using a GUI. What GUI were you using?

I was using mplayer-gui but I deleted it and installed gmplayer,it
solved the problem.So now I have a working video system.

> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Thanks for your help Marko