Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

Are you quite certain yours is an 8 GB device??

Disk /dev/sdb: 4045 MB, 4045930496 bytes
120 heads, 55 sectors/track, 1197 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 6600 * 512 = 3379200 bytes

This says it's a 4 GB device (plus or minus).

Just a side note.
At least where I lives, in Asia South countries, we found some bogus China made USB flash disk, which claims a certain size when being plugged into the Windows the 1st time. Then when we want to re-partition or trying to fill it up to its declared capacity, the ugly head arise. Kingston and Sandisk are the most targeted brands for these fake.