Daily Kernel Panics

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Dec 20 04:29:14 UTC 2009

Steven Stern wrote:
> On 12/13/2009 07:25 AM, Globe Trotter wrote:

>>> Do you have desktop effects enabled? I found that my system
>>> is much
>>> more stable with desktop effects turned off [1]. My video
>>> is ATI [2]
>>> with driver 'ati' [3].
>>>
>>> Footmarks:
>>> 1. ~]$ uptime
>>>   10:27:28 up 3 days,  9:22,  3 users,  load
>>> average: 0.25, 0.22, 0.18
>>> 2. ~]$ lspci
>>> [--SNIP--]
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
>>> RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
>>> 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP
>>> [Radeon
>>> 9600] (Secondary)
>>> 3. ati - Vendor-supplied driver for ati cards
>

> I do have an ATI card.  I'll try turning off desktop effects. Removing
> glx-utils removes all of compiz!
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
> [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
> 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

Note that in the above example of a stable system, item 3. I have had about
equal numbers of people tell me that the vendor driver is vastly more stable
than the built-in driver, and totally the opposite.

Oh, and some fundamentalist open source fanatics who tell me it's better to
crash a few times a day than use a closed source driver. ;-)

The only "desktop effect" of interest to me is stability.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>