8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 23:27:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I think there is another problem with having pen drives formatted ext3
> or ext4. Pen drives can only tolerate a finite number of writes before
> they crap out. Any format that involves journaling will increase the
> number of writes to the pen drive and hasten its failure.

The journal's size is not very large I suppose. And I also suppose
that, like all other data, it is shifted from one place to another in
other to have an equilibrium, not some sectors being written thousands
of times and some other never.

OTOH, when I formatted, I wasn't so sure that ext3 was much use on a
USB drive. I still don't know.