Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

On 12/21/2009 12:16 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Mikkel <mikkel infinity-ltd com> wrote:
>> Under Linux, you can do both. While you will be asked if that is
>> what you really want to do, the tools are happy to let you. Mount
>> has no problems mounting /dev/sda if you have formatted /dev/sda.
>> (Apposed to formatting /dev/sda1). Windows may not like it, but that
>> is another story.
>
> Possible, if I ever reformat the drive, I'll remove all traces of
> partition with fdisk before.

[root x86 extensions]# mke2fs /dev/sdg
mke2fs 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
/dev/sdg is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
15680 inodes, 62720 blocks
3136 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=64225280
8 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
1960 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
	8193, 24577, 40961, 57345

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 34 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

[root x86 extensions]# e2label /dev/sdg test

[root x86 extensions]# mount | grep /dev/sdg
/dev/sdg on /media/test type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)

Mikkel