Tar oddity...

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 11:17:44 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 01:53 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
> 2009/12/21 DB <Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk>>
>
>     Hi Chris,
>
>     The original command was
>
>     tar cvzf F11_Home_Dave_20091217.tar.gz /home/Dave
>
>     and the "problem" is that tar tvh F11*gz lists all the files on
>     the F11 desktop, but when the external HDD is transferred to the
>     F12 laptop, tar tvh  (and ark) give the errors quoted...
>

> Make sure that you are "safely removing" your drive before you unplug it.
>
> Copy the file, run the "sync" command and then unmount. Make sure that
> it is definitely unmounted before you unplug it. It could be that you
> are removing it before it has *actually* synchronises the data.
>
> I agree with the checksum suggestions below and I'm sure they will
> show a difference. If so, try the above. Copy, run sync, run checksum.
>
> -c
>
> Did you run the sync command before you unmounted and unplugged the usb drive?
>
> Also, a stupid question, is the tar too big to fit on the USB device
> (which is only 4GB).
>
> Are you overclocking your desktop's CPU?

Ok....

I used the "Safely unmount" (or disconnect?) in Dolphin.
Tried copying the 'faulty' tar.gz & safely disconnecting, sysn sync with
same results....
I've since tried making a new tar.gz, followed by 2 sync commands (a
distant memory from 1987 GNX/SysV!).  With similar results - the F12 tar
tvh still crashes , but MUCH further on.

The original file was 1.7GB on both machines.

To the best of my knowledge(!) I'm running my DT CPU as specified by the
MB maker (Elite k7S5A 133MHz for an AMD XP2K+)

> Are the two files the same size?
> Did you do the copy via a memory stick?
> If so, did you 'unmount' the memory stick on the source
> machine before unplugging it?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

Hi Terry,

As above, both files are 1.7GB, transfer device is a Maxtor One-Touch
500GB ext HDD, & yes, I used "safely unplug" in Dolphin before unplugging

Just tried to copy the file on the F12 laptop... only 324MB of 1.7GB get
copied.

I'm beginning to wonder whether my F12 installation is without error, as
I keep losing my (KDE) panels.  Each time I add a new one (so that I can
open these files etc) the widget-adder show x copies of the widgets
being in use - but I can't find a way of materialising the invisible
panels....  Also, if I "zoom out" I see 2 "screens", one plain blue, one
the (for want of a better term) "blue blobby one" - or is this
somethinf=g to do with disabling the laptop screen with Marko's xrandr
script???

Confusion reigns supreme!

Thanks all for your help & suggestions

Dave