OT: howto change Firefox's default print options

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Dec 22 21:42:52 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 11:32 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need help with the default printing options in Firefox. It has a very
>> annoying "feature" when trying to print: it insists on providing me with
>> preselected headers and footers.
>>
> I believe the things you're looking for are in about:config.  Look
> for "print.printer_(printer_name).(attribute).  The attributes are:
>
>     print_footercenter
>     print_footerleft
>     print_footerright
>     print_headercenter
>     print_headerleft
>     print_headerright

Thanks, Rick.

Those are the ones I mucked with.  No cigar though.  Any changes made
there cause the status to change temporarily from default to
user_defined.  After printing the current document they revert back to
default.

It appears that there is no way to modify the default behavior and that
the only way to get rid of that idiocy is to compile the browser
oneself?  IMO it makes a lot more sense from a usability perspective to
click once to enable something desired than to have to click seven times
to disable something undesired.

I always felt that Mozilla/Firefox was the standard to which others
should aspire but I fear that I may be seeing signs of pig lipstick...

:m)