Re: How many people need to use the proprietary nvidia driver ? (Or other non kms driver ?)

On 12/22/2009 10:21 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
Please reply if you need to ( ie must) use the proprietary nvidia driver
instead of the nouveau driver.

If you are using the proprietary nvidia driver or some other non kms
equipped driver, how are you finding F12 ?  Ie do you experience
freezing when you access some panel items ?

I use the proprietary driver on all my systems due to lack of 3D and VDPAU support. Having a fancy boot splash transition is the least of my worries. My opinion is from a general user perspective. The Red Hat and X.org folks have done nice work with KMS.

As for the driver itself, I do not have any issues with my cards[1] or Fedora 12. I use my custom DKMS-based RPM on all my systems though. I don't care to have kmod/akmod packages infested on my systems.

Mike

[1] 8 series and 9 series cards, including one mobile gpu, 190.53 driver