Re: Tar oddity...

Il giorno mer, 23/12/2009 alle 08.46 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan ha
scritto:
> AFAIK in modern Linux systems running "sync" doesn't actually guarantee
> anything beyond what "umount" is already doing.
>
> poc

The umount command does the "sync" so if you run
"umount /media/My_External_HDD" and then you get back to the shell, you
are safe to remove the HDD.
I've experienced file corruption and oddity with reiserfs on a 400Gb
HDD, nothing important was lost, but it was quite annoying.
Which FS are you using on the HDD?

Pietro