Re: How many people need to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver ? (Or other non kms driver ?)

On 12/23/2009 07:54 PM, Dan Burkland wrote:
> I have used the proprietary driver for its superb handling of 3D acceleration over nouveau. However, with the release of 2.6.33 near, I may give Nouveau as it now supports KMS (It may have in the past I'm not quite sure).
>
> Dan

http://skeggsb.livejournal.com/568.html

Nouveau in Fedora 12 has support for KMS.  It is very the same codebase
that has been merged in 2.6.23 now. The proprietary Nvidia driver
doesn't support KMS.  KMS is not just pretty bootup btw. Refer to

http://keithp.com/blog/kernel-mode-drivers/

Rahul