Gnome feedback when adjusting the display brightness

After updating the kernel to 2.6.31.9, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my laptop's ACPI keys for adjusting the display brightness are now working, for the first time ever.

On another laptop, whose display brightness ACPI keys have worked for a while, there's a large icon that pops up on the Gnome desktop when I adjust the display brightness level. It sort of looks like a big lightbulb, with a slider underneath that scrolls horizontally, when I change the screen's brightness level.

On this laptop, the lightbulb does not pop up, only the display brightness changes. The only difference that I can think of is that the other one is running compiz (and the big lightbulb comes up as a semi-opaque overlay over the desktop), and this laptop's video hardware does not have accelerated support, so no compiz here. Would that be it -- just curious.