Re: Compiz -- Discussion

On Saturday 26 December 2009 09:49 AM, William Case wrote:
Hi;

I just want to get some user thoughts and points on using Compiz.

I tried it a couple of Fedora versions ago.  It was kind of cute using
the spinning cube for workspaces and wobbly windows for a short while
but I soon returned to using Metacity.  Now that Compiz is more mature
and more people are using it, is there any advantages to trying it
again.  Any preferred modes etc.

I do include a 'fun' desktop amongst the possible advantages.

I think compiz provides us with a very intuitive graphical way to manage our workspaces and windows along with some completely useless just for fun stuff.

I personally don't use it because I use the proprietary drivers for 3D and compiz is not very stable with them. However I do play around with stuff sometimes. I would suggest you try the Expo plugin and the shift-switcher for windows across all workspaces. You can also try the zoom desktop plugin. I have also seen on youtube people grouping windows, and then switching through groups to manage them but I 'm yet to figure it out for myself.

If it were _just eye-candy_, so many developers wouldn't have spent so much of their time on the project.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Suvayu