Monitor doesn't turn go into powersave

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Dec 29 01:10:56 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin writes:

> On 28/12/09 17:52, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> xset dpms force off
>
> If running 'xset dpms force off' puts your monitor into powersave mode
> immediately, and if you boot with 'nomodeset', and that makes powersave
> work for you again automatically, then you have the same bug.
>
> After pondering this, since 'xset dpms force off' works to put the
> monitor into powersave mode, then this has to be a bug. I just need to
> figure out what to file a bug against: gnome-power-manager, x.org, or
> kernel.
>

>     Yes when I do "xset dpms force off" The screen goes black which is
>     what it should do if the screen saver worked..
>
>     To do "nomodeset" I will have to reboot is suppose but not sure how
>     to apply that, "startx --nomodeset" perhaps or do I have to do it in
>     grub? Yes, you say boot with it. Not sure where to put it in grub.

It's a kernel boot parameter, append it at the end of the "kernel" line in
grub.conf

Another thing that I've noticed -- if you have a leftover /etc/X11/xorg.conf
from the previous Fedora release, rename xorg.conf and restart, letting X
start with a default configuration.

I haven't yet fully verified it, but even if I boot with the unmodified
kernel boot line, after removing xorg.conf, it looks like power management
also starts working.