[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace



Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> On Monday 28 December 2009 02:11 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 03:04 -0800, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>>> ~/.bash_profile gets sourced by any "well behaved" desktop environment
>>>> when ever you login. In my experience XFCE and WindowMaker does
>>>> this. (I
>>>> don't use Gnome/KDE as often, so can't comment on them).
>>>>
>>>> ~/.bashrc gets sourced when ever you open an interactive shell,
>>>> maybe by
>>>> opening a terminal emulator or login in remotely.
>>>>
>>>> This means whenever you login remotely both ~/.bash_profile& 
>>>> ~/.bashrc
>>>> gets sourced. However if you open a terminal emulator like
>>>> gnome-terminal or xterm only your ~/.bashrc gets sourced.
>>>
>>> It is my impression that.bashrc is souurced whenever any program is run
>>> in a bash environment. I am willing to be corrected.
>>>
>>
>> By bash environment if you mean a terminal emulator then that is
>> exactly what I meant in my previous post. However if for example you
>> run something using a menu or shortcut on your desktop or maybe
>> Alt-F2 then ~/.bashrc is _not_ sourced, and environment variables
>> defined there won't be available to you. If you want something like
>> that, you need to define it in your ~/.bash_profile.
>>
>> Hope this makes my point clearer. :)
> Naive question .... it sounds like if a user has selected bash as
> shell-of-choice, then bash_profile is there for any operation
> (terminal or not) that would involve the use of the shell? I might not
> be saying this right, but I am trying to understand just how global
> bash_profile is and, if not, why it isn't as it seems by your email
> that for all intents and purposes it is global to a user's login process.
>
> Thanks for bearing with the question given that you already know I am
> running tcsh and therefore this is a learning exercise as opposed to a
> real occurrence in my usage of fedora.
>
> Paul
>
Why not just read "man bash"?

-- 
95% of guys masturbate...the other 5% lie. Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]