Re: GRUB2?

> Ubuntu uses grub2 already. I'm sure it's got some
> great new features, but for my purposes, it's a bit
> less convenient. I often edit my grub.conf one
> one partition when I'm booted to another partition
> (I use chainloading a lot). If I understand it correctly,
> with grub2, you have to run a command after editing
> the configuration file to properly create another
> configuration file.

You do not have to use the grub2 commands. For grub1 Debian and Ubuntu
had/have update-grub and Fedora has grubby (I think that it is more or
less equivalent but I have never used it).

I keep a copy of grub1's grub.conf/menu.lst and a copy of grub2's
grub.cfg in /root and I edit them by hand and copy them to
/boot/grub(2) after updating them.