Re: Where did my penguins go? - THAT'S LIFE

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 12:15 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > g writes:
> >
> >> Richard Shaw wrote:

Many thanks to all, but after trying all of the suggested VESA
alternatives I've concluded that the nouveau driver sans penguins is
vastly superior. Setting vga=0x37d for a starting text screen with a
1920x1200x32 resolution displayed the four penguins, but when startup
switched to graphical mode the screen went solid black. Using the vesafb
driver fixed that, but the result is S-L-O-W.

The nouveau driver is a big improvement over nv, but it apparently lacks
the ability to display core penguins after the startmenu. As I
speculated in my original post, this seems to be an artifact of the
nouveau driver. Considering the alternatives, I can accept that.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL