Installation plays hardball

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Dec 31 20:28:59 UTC 2009

<snip>

> Somewhat OT: IMHO one thing that makes installing Fedora harder than it
> needs to be for the majority of users is the default use of LVM. I've
> been using Fedora since before it was Fedora, and have *never* had a
> situation in which LVM was any use to me. I understand the benefits it
> brings to large installations with complex and varying storage
> requirements, but that's not the case for most people and having to deal
> with its highly domain-specific terminology turns it into a mental
> obstacle that would be better avoided.

I think what must be remembered here is that, while most of us Fedora
users generally work in a desktop environment (with GUIs and the lot)
and have little or no use for LVM, at some point Fedora "X" will become
Red Hat Enterprise Linux "X".

A large number of RHEL sites _will_ make use of LVM (indeed, may even
require LVM).  We are, remember, the experimental lab rats for the
eventual RHEL releases, so LVM must be tested as thoroughly as the rest
of the system.
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -