Re: is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:53 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Mail Lists <lists sapience com>
wrote:
\SNIP

the truth is though, that he is not the only one who switched from KDE
to GNOME. It's about the expectations.

When I installed F10 on the first machine, I tried Gnome and was so frustrated. I tried to switch to KDE but I couldn't get it to work but that was my fault. I didn't know about the session selector in GDM and was trying switch desktop function.

After playing with Gnome, I found the same frustrations. Some nice improvements over the version in F7 but still reminded me of using MS Windows. No real control to improve the efficiency.

KDE 4.1 is pretty good. I am having some weird issues that I don't like but I have not had a chance to figure out all the changes. I hear 4.2 is so much better than 4.2 so I think I will be really happy. Of course that is after I change the menu back to the classic menu from the Vista like menu.

My daughter prefers Gnome over KDE because KDE makes here think of Macs and she has had her fair share of nightmares with Mac's.

I personally agree that I would rather be using the KDE on F10 than
GNOME but not everyone who disagrees is inherently wrong.

Craig

I will drink to that. To each their own. The person that turned me onto KDE now uses Gnome but is thinking of checking it out again when 4.2 comes out.

--
Robin Laing