is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Michael Comperchio mcmprch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:57:31 UTC 2009

Robin Laing wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:53 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Mail Lists <lists at sapience.com>
>>> wrote:
> \SNIP
>
>> the truth is though, that he is not the only one who switched from KDE
>> to GNOME. It's about the expectations.
>>
> When I installed F10 on the first machine, I tried Gnome and was so
> frustrated.  I tried to switch to KDE but I couldn't get it to work
> but that was my fault.  I didn't know about the session selector in
> GDM and was trying switch desktop function.
>
> After playing with Gnome, I found the same frustrations.  Some nice
> improvements over the version in F7 but still reminded me of using MS
> Windows.  No real control to improve the efficiency.
>
> KDE 4.1 is pretty good.  I am having some weird issues that I don't
> like but I have not had a chance to figure out all the changes.  I
> hear 4.2 is so much better than 4.2 so I think I will be really
> happy.  Of course that is after I change the menu back to the classic
> menu from the Vista like menu.
>
> My daughter prefers Gnome over KDE because KDE makes here think of
> Macs and she has had her fair share of nightmares with Mac's.
>

>> I personally agree that I would rather be using the KDE on F10 than
>> GNOME but not everyone who disagrees is inherently wrong.
>>
>> Craig
>>

> I will drink to that.  To each their own.  The person that turned me
> onto KDE now uses Gnome but is thinking of checking it out again when
> 4.2 comes out.

I've went back to GNOME after the third time I had to press the hard
reset button on the front of the machine. This is *nix, and my memories
of *nix based OS is from SCO. In the 90's I worked for NASDAQ and their
(at the time) communications machines ran SCO, we had boxes that had
up-times measured in years. So, when KDE 4.1 (this is from the
downloaded F10 DVD I did ... maybe two and a half weeks ago) hung hard
enough to need to reset button, it was time to switch. I haven't
rebooted since.... now if only I could sync with my lifedrive...

Michael