Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux
From: Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora. <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: 02/02/2009 02:06 PM

All instances of Firefox on Linux that I have tried run arbitrarily
slow. I've come to the conclusion that Mozilla doesn't care about
Linux. Stuff that happens almost instantly on older Windows machines
take several seconds on my fairly beefed up workstation. I've more or
less given up on it.

Yes, Firefox under Linux used to start up faster and run just as fast as its Windows counterpart in 2.0. With 3.0 the Windows version starts much faster, closes instantly, and loads and renders pages much faster. My opinion is based on a 3ghz Core 2 machine with the latest generation nVidia card and 100+mb/sec Seagate 750GB SATA-II hard drive. Sure, the nVidia driver could be to blame for some rendering things, but not startup time or other problem areas. Sometimes Firefox takes so long to quit that Compiz thinks it's locked up and grey's it out and asks if I want to Force Quit it. That's very bad when I have no other applications hogging I/O bandwidth.

Mozilla's distaste for Linux was seen with the ignoring of the theme refresh and horrid sync() bug of 3.0.0. I fear it will just get worse.