Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Marc Ferguson wrote:
Hi,

I know I'll probably get hazed by this already saturated question, but I haven't found any solid answers to my issue from the archives. I'm running Fedora 10 x86_64 and loving the "adventure" of running an 64 bit system. I'm also running Firefox 3.0.x (x86_64), but I've noticed that it's not very smooth compared to it running on a Windows machine and I'm little confused why.

It's more the scroll bar than anything else. It's something small, but it's ruining the surfing experience and I'm a little embarrassed to let other people use it on my desktop. I don't want to give Linux a bad name and these folks are primarily Windows/MAC users. So; their experience with using Firefox on my system is a tainted one.

I've tried running Swiftfox, but I haven't gotten it to load (that's another issue) so I'm kind of stuck with Firefox.

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com <http://www.fergytech.com>
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!" -Marc F.
This is probably a different situation, but for me, I discovered just
how much browsers can be greatly slowed down if there are slow/bad
DNS server entries.  Make sure that *all* of your DNS server entries
are good in the /etc/resolv.conf file (can be set with System->
Administration->Network (DNS tab)).  The odd thing is, only the
browsers that were very slow, but everything else seemed to work
fine.  You can check FF against your local web-server just to make
sure it is not a DNS resolver issue or the Internet infrastructure.

For me, FF works well with:

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
Kernel 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686 i686
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
CPUs: 2
2017MB RAM

... and my daughter's system, also an F9 with a different
and faster Intel Motherboard, Duo-Core, 2GB RAM

FWIW,
Dan