Re: LXDE as default in init 5

solarflow99 wrote:

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 gmail com <mailto:hobbes1069 gmail com>> wrote:

    On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM, solarflow99 <solarflow99 gmail com
    <mailto:solarflow99 gmail com>> wrote:

    > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Richard Shaw
    <hobbes1069 gmail com <mailto:hobbes1069 gmail com>> wrote:

    >> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM, solarflow99
    <solarflow99 gmail com <mailto:solarflow99 gmail com>>
    >> wrote:
    >> > I would like to set this as the default, but using runlevel 5
    just
    >> > brings up
    >> > GDM by default and I have to select lxde every time.  Anyone
    happen to
    >> > know
    >> > where you can can set this?  it doesnt seem realted to
    prefdm, I tried
    >> > that
    >> > already.
    >>
    >> If you select LXDE from GDM then it should remember that setting. I
    >> can't tell for sure if you've done that with the limited
    information
    >> you've provided.
    >>
    >> I recently installed F10 on a low end laptop (P2 366MHz) w/
    128MB of
    >> ram. I'm using LXDE in combination with Slim (login manager). I
    >> probably should put put it in bugzilla but I created a
    lxde.switchdesk
    >> file (modified from the fluxbox one) so you can use switchdesk to
    >> change to LXDE. However, I found out the hard way that if you
    choose
    >> your desktop in GDM, switchdesk will have no effect.
    >
    > all switchdesk does is create a file with a WM setting, so if
    you type
    > startx to bring up X then it works.  I mentioned that I had to
    select LXDE
    > every time from GDM so thats what I have been doing, in fact the
    whole
    > purpose of the message was to ask how to be able to stop doing that.

    That's got to be a configuration issue or a bug. Once you set it, it
    should stay that way. The lack of response is either because no one
    else is having the problem or the message subject doesn't catch
    anyone's interest. Might try reposting it as "GDM does not remember
    session selection" or something like that. You could try another
    desktop and see if it's remembered on restart or not which might help
    narrow down the scope of the problem.

I bet hardly anyone even used LXDE, its a real shame, lean software like this is what we need more. Nothing remembers the session though..

you may have tried it already but xfce is also a great dm, lean and efficient