Configuring X beyond LCD panel Native Resolution

All:

I found that if I use the radeonhd drivers, I can configure the display
on my laptop to go well beyond the native resolution (1440x900) by
adjusting the screen resolution applet.

It works quite well.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this directly in X though. So far,
all attempts to do this via direct configuration in X have come up
fruitless. Any ideas how to make that work?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Only two things are infinite,