F10 post installation kernel issue?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Feb 3 19:11:09 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>>
>>> First time F10 install went well.  One thing I did
>>> differently in installing F10 was to:
>>>
>>> 1) Use the Volume based filesystems
>>> 2) Enabled disk encryption
>>>
>>> I noticed that on every reboot, one must enter the password
>>> long before seeing a grub display.  Hmm...  maybe for a server
>>> this is not the way to go, but for a workstation, it's probably ok.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the initial kernel I started with is:
>>> (1) kernel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686
>>>
>>> I proceeded to get the latest updates and this was approx. 1 week ago.
>>>
>>> I later added programs I wanted installed, configured the services I
>>> wanted,
>>> etc., etc., and everything went well.  I was able to reboot, no
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> But then a few days later, more updates came through, but specifically
>>> a new kernel was added:
>>> (2) kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686
>>>
>>> Rebooting, I got the messages:
>>> ======================
>>> ata1: ACPI get timing mode failed (AE 0x300d)
>
> Eh?  Sure that's not "/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map" (/lib/kbd NOT
> /lib/kdb and no capital K)?
>
> If what you posted is what's really being displayed, then we have
> serious problems.  The correct directory is provided by kbd RPM.
>

>>> [hang]
>>>
>>> So, I never got to the point where I needed to enter
>>> the encrypted disk password for continuance.
>>>
>>> To be sure, I rebooted back to the original kernel (1),
>>> and it booted just fine.  Leaving it there, I continued using
>>> the system, but got yet another kernel update:
>>> (3) kernel-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686
>>>
>>> Same problem reported in (2) above.  So I am still
>>> stuck at using my initial kernel at (1).
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do or to check to understand why
>>> I am not able to use the latest kernels?
>
> If the system is looking for the keymap you've shown, it won't find it,
> the console won't be set up and things will come to a screeching halt.
> I run 64-bit kernels so I can't test it and I don't know where it's
> getting that path from.  I have run all the kernels you show and they
> run fine here.  None ask for that funky keymap path.
I double-checked and got that path wrong initially.

The correct path shown on boot up (but appears ONLY
with the later newer kernels) are:

/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map

It still hangs.  The interesting thing is, as I said, I can
boot with the first kernel (1) installed but not the ones
following.  Still scratching my head...

Thanks!
Dan