Re: LXDE as default in init 5

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury mandamus org> wrote:
<snip>
>>. I don't know whether there is a way to make the root account appear at the GDM login.
>
> Comment out the 4th line of /etc/pam.d/gdm so it reads:
> #auth      required    pam_suceed_if.so user != root quiet
>
> And log-out. 'Root' is now an acceptable user during the graphical login as
> an 'Other'. (And /root/.dmrc will continue to exist if you use it/create
> it.)
>
> Geoff

Note that GDM is installed when you choose to install the GNOME desktop.
The file /etc/pam.d/gdm does not exist if the GNOME desktop is not installed.
I've never tried to install the gdm rpm on its own, so I don't know whether that
could make a difference

BTW - The original question is about making a permanent desktop
selection for root.

~af