System Time

I can't decide whats going on here, but....

I decided to try XFCE (it is seemingly faster - athlon, 2ghz, 1gig mem) but the clock in the panel is 5 hours slow... actually, it's five hours fast. The 'clock' command in a terminal tells me it's 9:05 eastern time, the XFCE panel clock says 9:05, but the GNOME panel clock tells me it's 2:05 (pm). Also, the windows side of the maching tells me it's (-5) hours. I don't much care about Gnome, but would like to know how to reset my system time to the 'correct' time ( I know, the correct time depends on how fast I'm going.... etc....)!

Thanks
Michael