XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 20:34:07 UTC 2009

Globe Trotter wrote:

[You need to set your mail client to wrap the lines]

 > Hi,
 > All I was trying to say was that over time, gnome elements got pulled
in, despite trying things like this or similar. I started with the XFCE
Fedora 8 Live CD and then stripped it of gnome-related RPMS and over
time, and upgrades, I still have all those gnome\* rpms which have
nothing to do

Sorry. Can't help unless there is a specific complaint. If a specific
package has unnecessary dependencies or things that can be split up,
file bug reports.

 > I am not talking about Gnome developers, rather developers of
packages, who seem to include some gnome dependency sometimes.

This can sometimes be split up. Again, you have to be specific to have a
meaningful conversation.

 > I use firefox from the days of phoenix, and even contributed to the
original code. I did not have gnome  in those days. I wonder if it
really requires gnome, either directly or indirectly.  Similarly for
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin, etc.

Yes. Read the description of the plugin. It is a wrapper around GNOME
applets and yes, package dependencies change over time. So what predates
which project doesn't make much of a difference to the current state of
dependencies.

Rahul