Re: XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

Globe Trotter wrote:

I thought I provided a very specific list of dependencies as an
example.

It might be helpful if someone showed you how dependencies are generated, because I don't think you understand. It's not accidental on the part of the package maintainer.

$ rpm -q --requires firefox | awk '!/rpmlib/ {print $1}' | \
  while read req ; do rpm -q --whatprovides "$req" ; done | sort | uniq

... or leave off all of the processing, "rpm -q --requires firefox"

In that list, you'll see gnome-vfs2. When the firefox package was built, rpm did something very much like:

$ rpm -ql firefox | \
  while read file ; do test -f $file -a -x $file && ldd $file ; done \
  | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq

You'll see libgnomevfs-2.so.0 in the list. So, while you might be able to remove the gnome desktop and applications and still have firefox, you cannot remove "gnome-vfs2", which you tried to do when you did "yum erase gnome*"

Does it make sense now?

Of course, but sometimes, dependencies are included in error, as in
the R example.

R requires cairo. Since I'm not sure what release you saw this on, I don't know if cairo depended on some gnome package or if something else was going on.