WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Feb 8 03:45:08 UTC 2009

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or reinstall
> every 6 months or so.

Actually, Fedora does not expect anything from you.

From an FAQ...  "Fedora is all about freedom and rapid innovation."

From that, and other places, one can glean that in order to fulfill the
"rapid innovation" part an end-user can expect to do some work to
maintain the "rapid innovation" part.
> This is just not right.

I feel you really mean, even though you don't realize it, that "Fedora
is not the right Linux Distro for me".
> Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every six months,
> if so, I would rather use Microsoft. Why not provide updates, major
> ones, to the already installed OS instead of having to reinstall a new
> OS!!! I imagine that this, if done in an organized way, could be
> easier on the developers of Fedora.
>
> INSTEAD OF MAKING CONSUMERS INSTALL EVERY SIX MONTHS OR UNTIL THE
> UPDATES STOP, JUST PROVIDE LARGE UPDATES THAT UPGRADE A SYSTEM WITHOUT
> HAVING TO DO A COMPLETELY NEW INSTALL???
>
> THEN YOU WILL HAVE A LARGER FAN BASE AND A MORE STABLE OS!!!

I don't understand the need to shout....

It just seems that fedora's stated goals/philosophies differ from
yours.   I'd suggest that rather than trying to will fedora into your
line of thinking you should consider picking another distribution that
more closely matches your goals and philosophies.  I suspect that more
than a few are quite happy with the general goals and philosophies of
fedora and would fight you tooth and nail if you tried to change it.

FWIW, I've never seen or heard that one of fedora's goals was to become
the Linux distro with the largest fan base.  :-)

Feel free to adopt the suggestions of others.  FWIW, I'm happy with what
fedora is doing yet I wouldn't consider using it for what I consider to
be "production".

--
The opinions expressed above have been randomly generated and are the
sole responsibility of the haze in which I live.