Re: XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

How about sprucing up XDM ?
After reading all the very instructive comments on the tread, I ended up loading xdm, and yum installing all the different pieces from the groupinstall piecemeal and checking  out to make sure no gnome stuff was slipping through.

I think I got it all, and currently I am using XDM to log in.

JP

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> gdm is a big one. It now basically requires a gnome desktop to work.
> Perhaps we should look at pulling in kdm for Xfce. ;)

Well, then you'll need at least kdelibs, probably kdebase-runtime and
oxygen-icon-theme too (and all that stuff is pretty large). :-( KDM doesn't
spawn an almost complete KDE desktop like GDM does with GNOME, but it does
need the KDE libraries. We'd also have to split it out of kdebase-workspace
for you - I don't think you want all of kdebase-workspace on the XFCE
spin. ;-)

I guess porting my KDM ConsoleKit patch (which now got accepted into KDE
upstream, but the patch can be extracted from KDE SVN) to one of the
lightweight display managers and then using that as the default would be
the best approach for you in the long run.

--
/\_/\
|O O|  pepebuho gmail com
~~~~ Javier Perez