Never-ending boot progress

Hi - can anyone help with an install issue pls?

On reboot after (several repeated!) seemingly good installs I just get
the progress bar at the bottom of the screen that slowly becomes fully
white. On pressing ESC i get four lines saying
	reading logical volumes
	found vol0...
	found vol1...
	2 volumes in group vol0 now active
but no disk activity! I've left it overnight but its just hung there.
Any additional diagnosis steps I can perform here?

Tim Clarke