WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Feb 9 21:14:44 UTC 2009

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> As I said above I am sorry for the initial RANT. Thank you to all for
> your patience and help.
>
> I have been looking into ARCH, which someone, mentioned above, and I
> think their philosophy towards Linux is, quite good, a rolling
> release. It is harder to work with initially seeing as it does not
> have a graphical install process. It is a minimal installation, which
> I like, and you install only what you want after the minimal
> installation. It also releases the latest packages usually in 1 day or
> 2. Didn't know that there was a distro like ARCH.
>
> For the question above, I do like to stay up to date, and the GUI
> matters a pretty good bit to me. I love the changes that KDE made,
> with their GUI, when they went to 4 and now to 4.2!

I have to throw my 2 cents worth in.  I have to agree that doing a full
upgrade every 6-8 months gets tiresome when you have a dozen or so
machines running it.  However, preupgrade does seem to help that a lot
and it's getting better with oddball setups like some I have.

That said, rolling updates are the way to go.  No need for continual
upgrades to 'releases' just update to the latest version of a package
and be done with it.  I'm just not sure a 'major release' design is the
way to go any longer.  With internet access the way it is, why not just
do rolling updates?

Personally this is why I use gentoo more and more.  No need to download
an ISO or anything of the sort, just switch to a new profile, update the
needed packages and you are at the latest 'release'.  Then, update
packages as they are released as stable. (or as ~arch in the gentoo world).

Nothing else makes as much sense to me in the open source world that
isn't a 'paid' or 'enterprise' edition.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support